Featured
kelvin M Tyl

Verified Reviewer

Cause when I talk to credit and collections about a false positive test it go very sour

Smart Start - Cause when I talk to credit and collections about a false positive test it go very...
Explore video interviews
Advertisements
Updated by user Mar 16, 2023

unresolved, like I said before smart-start does not apologize for any reason or thing they have made it worse if you complain about their services. and bring attention to their services and fees.

in some parts even retaliate. ( THEY CALL RULES ) which they continue to...

Original review Feb 14, 2023
The interlock breathalyzer has flaws and at same I have had it gave me false positive feedback, I was driving and it had caused my headlights dashboard horns to sound off and the machine would be frozen on analyzing then I have to pull over to side of road depower vehicle restart the machine is still frozen

Preferred solution: Something I know will not happen an apology and smartstart get it right not just for me but for their souls NC Department of Motor vehicle too but it really doesn't matter because what is in the Dark shall come to the light

User's recommendation: Make sure you record and monitor everything becuse most of smartstart staff will try and make you sound like you are falsely participants in using the interlock device make a note and. Call immediately of problems because you know later NC Department of motor vehicle is going to harrese you next and will attempt to take away your driver's license without a fair hearing or fair investigation Most smartstart staff are the same some very few are polite and professional some like the collection office come off very confusing and very difficult so you have to look after you only another is request for all notes and date because record because really you shouldn't have to be mistreated from either smartstart or NC DMV when you had only a 2 minute breathe analysis and you past clearly and breathe and participant with the machine as directed you shouldn't be threatened to lose your license, when you are doing all you can to do what is right. These people have no concern that you are trying to live a good right relationship they what to hold us into a pass and fuel off our money ,lively hoof see our family hurt and break us down to struggle unhealthy to be honest paying every month and then to add a extra 75 dollars fine fee then if you have to have. Your vehicle machinery service and have to pay a fee for the down time then they added if the mechanic makes a mistake and forgot about machine more fine fees out of your pocket then after smartstart done raped your wallet the so called great and powerful NCDMV of North Carolina is going to come and finish brutal run a train on you and rape you and say according to THE LAW but it is really called the policy under the corporations of the American saying you have no rights which is against the law. But they been doing this for so long smartstart and NCDMV work together hand and hand why you request a DMV hearing and have to pay 450.00 dollars?and this to defend from taking driving license that you need you have completely committed to say I am a safe person and 14 year sobriety person I have a family and work and have been working to help build a better community. All my bad choices are behind but still NCDMV their law say none forgiveness and you and all else struggle. The new Jim Crow laws for North Carolina but whats sick is it applies to those of low class people in ALL ETHNICITY

Guest

I am going to say the machine is an error ( FALSE POSITIVE ) for the poor person that "keeps crying you are not telling it right " that has been on the short yellow bus. the light will not flash on top of their head the machine has flaws, and the machine has errors, I do not drink at all I have witnesses , and can testify to seeing this device's errors. the person trying so hard to justify that the device dont make false readings right now are very worried and more likely the lawyers in their state are trying to fight against them now.

Guest

You have to be one of those arrogant shop installation people who have to defend the device and more likely have nothing else you are capable of doing with yourself, you fail at computer programing and failed as a family person but I will not go there with you because one you fail to understand the machine had to be switched out twice by an installation shop person and again the dame system smart-start had me under did not have an account. next don't come to me about drinking I have over (13) years of sobriety on me and still holding strong, while you were still on Similac, and are on your own mother's processed sour milk. Second, the shop's installation should be held accountable for the wrong installations, and be retrained and trained in knowing how to talk to clients.

Guest

The shops do make wrong installations. If it is coming on after the key is out of the ignition or if it's asking for a sample when you're done driving.

It is because of installation. The two minute mark is after you've already turned your car off. They give you 2 minutes to turn your car back on. When you start your car they give you 5 minutes.

Rolling test are 5 minutes. You are wrong and there is something that you're doing wrong. You hum and the blowing takes care of itself. You don't have to blow and hum at the same time.

Focus on the humming and the blowing does it by itself. That's all you have to do. It takes 5 seconds longer.

Then hold your breath longer. And blow by humming only at the same time and you'll get it.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2327896

whoever trying to instruct how to hum and use the device is dead wrong I used it and the machine froze up and had a recall flash up.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2327914

There is no such thing as false positives. If people knew about the BAC calculator on Google they would understand How long It takes Alcohol to get of there system. One shot a liquor takes 4 hours and nobody *** thinks about that.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2327896

If you Humm, the blowing takes care of itself. Non alcoholic mouthwash, No donuts or really high yeast breads,.

No energy drinks Until the very 1st rolling test, and then you have 20 minutes and rinse in between with water This is what they tell Everyone. BAC calculator on Google will tell you that Every drink depending on What it is, For instant A shot a liquor takes 4 hours each, So 4 shots take 12 hours. There are so many people that do not understand how long it takes for alcohol to get out of your system. I have had smart start For 3 months and I'm getting in out next week.

Before that I had LCI Low cost in Interlock. For 12 months before that And I took them to court twice..... And each time it's not for a pot false positive. I have never had a false positive with either or at 13 months.

Because you don't When's your Melt out With alcohol based mouthwash. I wait while driving for the 1st rolling test Which is 10 minutes after, And then I can Eat whatever I want For a good 25 minutes. Always wrench your mouth out with water keep bottles of water in your car. There is so many foods out there that I ate that did not Make it a false positive.

If your positives are coming up as soon as you start the car? Then you did not check a Bac level on the calculator. 0.02 and lower. If it is coming on when the key is not an Ignition it is 100% the installs fault they cross wired.

I've had a beep as soon as I turn the car off and that is just a coincidence and you still have to blow. Always wait Until you see the countdown for 2 minutes After shutting off the car and then you can walk away. It is 100% always the insulation process that makes it go bad. Because it cross wiring and whatever they hook it up Too with your harness.

Always be aware and not just jump out of your car. And record it all! I speak out of experience With another company not smart start. They Are the best when you have a good installer.

Smart start has nothing to do with the installation people. It is your state Highway and patrol. Smart start and any of the other companies do not have everything up-to-date.

Always Look up the company on Google and the installers and called them yourselves. Always.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2340090

Not pot lol. For alcohol! No such thing as a false positive!

Guest

You are not saying the whole truth. Malfunctions do not include false positives.

End of story. You cannot drink the night before and think you're going to be sober and 6 to 8 hours. You can get a reimbursement but never on a false positive because there is no such thing. All other malfunctions are real.

But not a false positive. This is not telling the whole truth. Every single fee has been because of three things. Not calibrating, not doing appointments, or not paying monthly fee, there is no other monthly fee besides the shops.

The shops are not the interlock company. Hold the shops accountable hold your state accountable it has nothing to do with the interlock company.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2327895

SHUT YOUR WHOLE! nobody asked you or told you to get on here and be autocorrected, and are u from another state?

WOW ?? are you the Smartstart police Okay we will use false readings.

it is an error. device fails , MALFUNCTION you are an error

View more comments (8)
Abdul D Jnz

| map-marker Casa Grande, Arizona

SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES!!!

Smart Start - SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES!!!
FEES FEES FEES!!! If you love paying fees, they are the best in town. $35 for this and $25 for that. They really love to stick it to you. Plus, the device will be FILTHY. I highly recommend going with one of their competitors. As a business owner myself, I am extremely turned off by this business's practices.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Shady business practices to milk you for more money
  • Customer service is trash
  • Filthy device

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: AVOID THEM AT ALL COST!!!

| map-marker Cardigan, Ceredigion

The plug on the recharger is faulty and not recharging

Smart Start - The plug on the recharger is faulty and not recharging
Smart Start - The plug on the recharger is faulty and not recharging - Image 2
Smart Start - The plug on the recharger is faulty and not recharging - Image 3
I purchased the saker mini chainsaw Ive only had it just over a month and the plug to recharge it is faulty ,how do I feel about this situation all Im really annoyed as nothing is happening

User's recommendation: No I wouldn’t

Shane F Yzm

They are thieves

I want to warn others about this thieving, lying, *** company. I have had numerous issues with this company and only once has the issue been resolved. The problem was due to missing several blows, but I am 100% certain that I did not miss any; these machines are faulty. It seems like Smart Start does not do their due diligence to rectify them and get them operating at the level they should be. After writing a slew of bad reviews, someone finally reached out to me from the company and fixed it.

So back in January, I got into a car accident and my truck ended up being in the shop for 7 weeks. During that time, I missed my calibration date. The shop that my truck was at also called Smart Start and told them what was happening, as did I. However, when I got my truck back, I had to get a lockout code to get it home, and it was late at night, when the shop was closed for calibration. In the morning I had to get another lockout code to get the truck to the shop.

When I found out I was being charged $77 for 2 lockout codes, I submitted the necessary forms to get my money back. And an unbelievable 11 days before I get the interlock device out of my truck, I was told that in order for them to do it, I would have to pay the outstanding balance of $77, which I was never even told I was denied.

So someone in that company has the common sense of a 1-year-old because clearly, my truck was in the shop. I called them, the shop called them, and I even submitted the proper paperwork, showing them my truck was in the shop and they still denied me. They didn't give me any reason why.

Now, upon reading that if I do get refunded, they will refund my Smart Start account, which is due to close in 11 days. Do yourself a favor and stay far away from this company. The customer service is trash, the device is trash, the absolute disgusting thievery is trash, and anyone that works for a company that has the moral compass this company does is trash. *** Smart Start, for stealing money from your customers and being too dumb to know when they are in the right, and you are in the wrong. I will blast bad reviews on every platform about your company until you refund my money into MY PERSONAL BANK ACCOUNT.

Loss:
Cons:
  • More than i can list

User's recommendation: Stay away

Katrina B Nsj

| map-marker Quincy, Illinois

Poor service

Original review Apr 30, 2024

Arranged auto pay from beginning of contract. At end of contract, they say we owe months of service fees because they did not follow through on their end to debit the account for services.

When asked why they didn't contact us, they said they are not able to contact customers. And told me to get off the line if I wasn't going to pay right now. As far as I see, we do not owe a debt. If I don't pay my phone or electricity, they get shut off.

We had service until we were able to get the machine uninstalled, finishing the contract. Now that we have machine removed they can all of a sudden now get a hold of us?

Preferred solution: No past due balance

User's recommendation: Choose wisely and dont expect them to uphold their side of a contract

Bill T Jbc

| map-marker North Tonawanda, New York

No customer service and raising rates

Can never talk to a real person when help is needed. Always have to wait for a call back. Raised my rates because they need more money for "working expense's" according to their email. Telling me its just a "modest increase" of $ 25. i sent an email about my frustration raising my rates. Ne response. Not surprised. Avoid Smart start if possible. All i can do is tell people my experience and hopefully save them some hassle.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Allows me to drive
Cons:
  • Raising rates
  • Customer service

Preferred solution: Price reduction

Maydell Dhj

| map-marker Fletcher, North Carolina

Have not received my product after 3 weeks!

Can not get in touch regarding not having received my product. No answers on phone, no response to email. I had to call my bank to stop payment and get a credit on my account...
Carl H Qnj
map-marker Grand Island, Nebraska

Was on hold for long time,talked to wrong department, she said would connect to right department, got put on hold for another 21 minutes,

Send a battery charger with product, didn't receive one, there's nowhere to plug charger cable into.

User's recommendation: Include a customer service number where you can actually talk to someone

TANYA T Jkc

| map-marker Hamilton, Ontario

Faulty device

This company has defected equipment Refurbished and highly overused If anyone would like to join in a class action lawsuit please email me Tanyapender@***.ca
map-marker Garland, Texas

Poor customer service

Hidden fees, run around when tryin to talk to management, unorganized, and they treat you like you beat their mother!! remember, we chose you, we dont have to deal with you we can go to another authorized provider. Learn to treat your customers better.. we are already in a bad situate for you to make it worse is just ***
Cory W Tyv

HORRIBLE!!!

DO NOT GET SMARTSTART INSTALLED IN YOUR VEHICLE!!! I have now been without my vehicle now for a month and a half!

They are trying to charge me almost $700 in fees that I should not be responsible for. I was charged 3 system leases in 1 month and 2 system leases in another. Thats $333 in leases that I do not owe. On top of that I am being charged lock out and missed appointment fees for appointments that I dropped my car off to the service center the night before my scheduled appointment.

The reason I started dropping my vehicle off was because of the minimum 1 hour recalibration wait times. Sometimes exceeding 2 hours! The service center told me that Smartstart could contact them to get these fees removed but Smartstart refuses to contact them and repeatedly tell me I was late to my appointments. I have been pretty much called a liar by rude customer service individuals multiple times.

I feel I am being extorted by this company as I can not get my vehicle back to have an Intoxilock unit installed until I pay these fraudulent charges to get their unit removed from my vehicle. On top of this I have spent many hours on the phone with the DMV, courts, DIU, DDP, and the county clerk's office just for permission to leave Smartstart for Intoxilock. I dont even have Intoxilock in my vehicle yet and my experience with them has been absolutely wonderful compared to the complete garbage service that I have received from Smart start. DO NOT CHOOSE SMARTSTART unless you hate your money, your time, having a vehicle, like being called a liar, like being extorted, and most of all treated like *** I will send you a photo of my billing history to back this up which I also sent to Smartstart.

They did not give a *** THIS COMPANY IS HORRIBLE ALL THE WAY AROUND. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID!

$2000

Preferred solution: Compensation for lost time transportation cost

User's recommendation: DO NOT HAVE INSTALLED IN YOUR VEHICLE!!!

map-marker Redmond, Washington

The smart start doesntwork right the chain keeps stopping and im out 160.dollar because you cant get a hold of nyone

I bought a chain saw from you and the chain keeps stopping i used it for 15 minutes it done just fine and this was april 7th and i had only had it 3days that was the first time i used it i just want to kow what the problem is beause i really liked
Delynn Kmc

| map-marker Colorado Springs, Colorado

Trying to get a copy of interlock agreement

Smart Start - Trying to get a copy of interlock agreement
I'm trying to get a copy of the interlock agreement for the DMV to get my license reinstated. I've spent 10 hours trying to get a hold of customer service and when I finally get someone I get transferred and then hung up on. They ask you to leave a callback number but do not return your call. This is the worst company I've ever had to deal with. They definitely need to get it together don't use this company

User's recommendation: A different company

Guest

My husband is going through the exact same situation right now. Trying to get someone to send a copy of his 180-day compliance form to the WA state Department of Licensing and all he has gotten after hours waiting on hold for two weeks in a row is the run-around.

He did talk to one guy who said they would send it but they never did.

There ought to be some kind of recourse in this situation. So frustrating!

Cynethryth R

| map-marker Gregg, Pennsylvania

Corrupt company

Smart start is a horrible greedy corrupt company. They will rip you off every chance they get. They lie to you and give you false info and don't give you any instructions on how to use the device so they can rip you off later.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Lie to you and rip you off

Carissa H Kcl

Verified Reviewer

Do NOT go to this company.

Wish I could leave ZERO stars. No wonder we cant leave Google reviews for the company.

These guys are con artists.

They make it VERY DIFFICULT to reach a live representative, and if you do, trust, they CANT help. Their janky devices will throw faulty codes that are NOT your fault and you still have to pay... then dispute and wait WEEKS to get reimbursed... oh wait...I mean you HAVE TO go through the BBB to even get anything resolved.

Not joking.

My last month with them I was charged a full month of service even though I had the janky device removed during the 72 hour grace period... they unlawfully took my money and I have to wait 6-8 weeks for the refund.

DO NOT GO TO THIS COMPANY!

DO NOT! LOOK ELSE WHERE!

Loss:
Cons:
  • Hate their job
  • Can hardly reach a live rep
  • Janky devices

User's recommendation: RUN and LOOK ELSE WHERE

Earl W Vkg
map-marker Saint Paul, Minnesota

Order parts

Have not got any response. Would like to order 3 batteries, 2 cord chargers and 2 chainsaw blades for SK1804D. Need cost please.

User's recommendation: Great saw

Go fuck your self

| map-marker Brockton, Massachusetts

To stop random test while driving

Shame on everyone involved that includes rmv almost crashed twice while on high way to do random test they say pull over if there is not a place to pull over in time you feel test its a money making scam they have no right putting this machine into someones car when this case go back to 2003 didnt come out to 2005 I no what the law says well they need to change it I hope nothing bad happens to me while driving my family will file law suit have nice day

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article